Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi today chaired a meeting of the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) here at Prime Minister’s Office.
In line with the government’s commitment to overcome the power shortage in the country, special emphasis has been accorded to power projects. The ECNEC approved following four power sector projects :-
- Construction of new 220 kv Guddu-Sibbi single circuit transmission line for improvement of Power supply system in South areas at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 8.366 billion
- 500 kv Lahore North Substation along with associated Transmission Lines at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 20.732 billion
- Evacuation of Power from 1410 MW Terbela 5th Extension Hydro power project at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 4.14 billion
- Evacuation of Power from 1224 MW Wind Power project at Jhimpir clusters at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 10.752 billion
ECNEC also approved the following projects related to social, education, transport & communication; and water resources sectors :-
- Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme (Phase-III) at a total revised cost of Rs. 21.335 billion. The Prime Minister directed HEC to prepare ‘Laptop-for-all Program’ that shall provide Laptops to all eligible students.
- Extension of Water Resources for Faisalabad City (Phase-II) at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 14.636 Billion.
- Punjab Intermediate Cities Improvement Investment Program in Sahiwal and Sialkot a total rationalized cost of Rs. 26.325 billion
- Award of Allama Muhammad Iqbal 3000 Scholarships to Afghan Students by HEC at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 7.352 billion. The Prime Minister directed HEC to complete the project within 3 years instead of 5 years i.e. 1000 scholarships per year.
- Rehabilitation / Up-gradation and widening of Quetta-Dhadher Section of N-65 (118.322 Km) at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 7.115 billion.
- Construction for improvement and widening of Chitral – Ayun – Bumborate Road (48 Km) at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 4.6 billion. The Prime Minister directed KP Government to ensure cultural preservation of the Kalash tribe in collaboration with civil society and non-governmental organizations.
- Design, Tendering Assistance and Construction of Malakand Tunnel Project at a total revised cost of Rs. 16.554 billion.
- Procurement / Manufacture of 820 High Capacity Bogie Freight Wagons and 230 Passenger Coaches for Pakistan Railways at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 31.194 billion.
- Procurement / Construction of 6 Maritime Patrol Vessels (MPVs) for Pakistan Maritime Security Agency at a revised cost of Rs. 16.28 billion.
- Construction of Garuk Storage Dam, District Kharan, Balochistan at a total rationalized cost of Rs. 10.511 billion.
- Establishment of Combined Effluent Treatment Plants for Industrial Areas of Karachi including laying of Interceptor Sewers at a total cost of Rs. 11.799 billion.