October 12, 2020 (MLN): A committee of eight members has been constituted to take further actions on implementation of negotiations outcomes with the Independent Power Producers, with the Advisor to the Prime Minister on Finance & Revenue, Abdul Hafeez Shaikh, as the Chairman, the Ministry of Energy informed on Monday.
The other members of the committee include Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Power, Minister for Energy, Mr. Babar Yaqoob Fateh Muhammad, Chairman, Federal Land Commission of Pakistan, Secretary, Power Division, Secretary, Finance Division, Barrister Qasim Wadud, and CEO, Central Power Purchasing Agency Guarantee Ltd.
The Committee shall be responsible for undertaking all actions required to give effect to the MoUs and their conversion into binding contractual agreements, within the timeline agreed in the MoUs, including but not limited to:
- Coordination with all relevant ministries, institutions, authorities, and other stakeholders;
- for the IPPs which have not signed MoU, as provided in the report, the committee will have the power to make contractual arrangements on the same principles and lines as for the IPPs which have signed the MoUs;
- devising a mechanism for settlement of outstanding dues of IPPs;
- in case the matter is under litigations, the relevant MoU should be forwarded to the relevant entity for its comments and feedback;
- for those arbitration or dispute resolution decision that is not implemented, recommend a way forward to close out such disputes, possibly including a previously agreed settlement that was not put into effect;
- for outstanding tax issues of the industry, attempt to reach closure on the same
- take necessary action for revision of tariff through NEPRA pursuant to relevant terms of MoUs;
- monitor amendment of the Power Purchase Agreements and other relevant agreements pursuant to MoUs and revised tariff determination
Copyright Mettis Link News